Divider Black

FAQ Blog

Dropped Kerbs and Crossovers – What Do I Need To Do?

In this FAQ Blog we’ll address this common question. Installing dropped kerbs and crossovers to improve access is a simple improvement you can make to your property, often increasing it’s value and making access easier and safer. If you’re looking to create new access to your parking area and need to lower a road or footpath kerb, you’ll need permission from the council. This comes in the form of a Vehicular Access Licence. You’ll also need a company with New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) trained operatives, like Edwards Surfacing.

Below we’ll take you through how to obtain your licence and how to find an external approved contractor.

Vehicular Access Licence

Vehicular access licence is required to construct or work on an existing Vehicle Access and the process can vary from council to council. You can find your local requirements by visiting the Government website (click link) and typing in your post code. This will redirect you to your local authority and their Dropped Kerbs and Crossovers page.

These pages give you all the information on applying for your licence and advice on whether you need planning permission. In most cases on normal 1 or 2 property access you won’t, but it’s worth following the steps on your local authority’s page to make sure. Things like whether your access is going to cross or affect the flow of a watercourse, which will require the consent of the authority and worth looking in to.

Applications can take place through their online portals, by email, or by post, and can take up to 4 weeks. You are then usually given a 2 week window to carry out the works, so give us a call to come and assess the works in plenty of time.

Licence fees vary from council to council, but expect to pay around £250-£300.

It’s important to note that the application process varies in different areas, and different councils require different information, but on the whole are pretty straight forward and the instructions are usually clear.

If all of this seems a little daunting, then give us a call and we can take you through the process, helping you anyway we can.

Once you’ve got your licence application under way, it’s time to find a contractor.

External Contractor

When it comes to the physical works of your new access, you’ll need to employ an external contractor who has both of the following:

Public Liability insurance cover of £5 million or higher

It’s standard for most businesses to have public liability insurance, and although not a legal requirement, it’s vitally important for any business that interacts with the public. It’s always worth asking the question of any business or trades person, and a good company will be happy to send you proof of their cover.

New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 accreditation

As with any tradesperson, making sure they hold the right qualifications for the task at hand is important. The New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) requires that any work that involves breaking up of the street or tunnelling or boring under the street is controlled by competent people. To meet the requirements set out in NRSWA, undertakers have to make sure that an operative with the appropriate qualifications is on site when works are in progress. In most cases, a suitable qualified supervisor must oversee street works as well. As a customer, you want to know that the works are being done properly and to the correct standards, and have the peace of mind that they are trained and know what they are doing. You can trust that all Edwards Surfacing operatives are trained and qualified in their respective specialties, and we’d be happy to provide you with verification on request.

Once you’ve got your licence and your contractor, you’re good to go! It may be the case that you need help in the design or layout of your new access prior to application, in which case give us a call and we’ll happily visit your property. There’s no obligation, just give us a call!

Hopefully this FAQ Blog “Dropped Kerbs and Crossovers – What Do I Need To Do?” has been informative, but for more information you can find all our contact info here.

Mark Edwards
Surveyor, Edwards Surfacing

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *